Specialist - Homeless Services - F/T
Crisis & Development Services
SPECIALIST – HOMELESS SERVICES
Grade 8 - Start Rate $14.41 per hour
Full-time 37.5 hours/week with flexibility required
Monday through Friday – 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Location: Midtown plaza in Oswego
The availability of one Specialist position has been announced to provide intervention and case management services to at-risk and homeless individuals and families to prevent homelessness or assist with obtaining new housing.
- Assess household for program eligibility and conduct housing goal plans.
- Provide crisis intervention and supportive counseling.
- Assist households in locating/retaining housing and addressing basic needs.
- Advocate for individuals with landlords, DSS, and other community service providers.
- Make referrals to community service providers to meet the needs of the household.
- Provide consumers with information and resources on various barriers to housing retention.
- Accompany consumers to mediation, legal or other housing appointments.
- Determine assistance levels based upon a needs assessment.
- Must be able to establish/maintain relationships with service providers, consumers and staff.
- Must be flexible with work schedule in order to meet the needs of the program.
- Must work in a professional, objective manner and display good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness.
- Must model appropriate problem resolution and living skills.
- Staff must have acceptable ability to carry out the responsibilities of the position including readily negotiating stairs, lifting up to 25 pounds and transporting.
- A valid NYS Driver’s License with a driving background within policy and access to a reliable, properly insured vehicle for travel and transport.
Minimum qualifications include an Associate’s degree; and three years’ experience with families or adolescents; or any acceptable combination of education, experience and training.